Sunday, November 27, 2011

Still More Forward Fuse Construction

I've been staring at these parts for several weeks.  I'd clamp them together then take them apart.  Refer to the prints and clamp them together again.

Kind of like a big jig saw puzzle.  Sometimes it went together good, sometimes not so good.

I finally think I have it and started drilling and Cleco-ing the Forward Fuselage Lower Frame Assembly together.

About 15 parts, maybe more, are used to construct the frame.  I started by marking the center line (CL) down the middle of the fuselage tunnel.
Next, I marked some location marks for the rudder pedal supports, left & right.

I drilled some pilot holes in the fuselage tunnel making a rivet line for the pedal support brackets.

Before drilling, I clamped the pedal support brackets in place.
Just about done drilling for the day.  Looking pretty good & measuring up well to my location marks.

The structure is strong even with just Clecos holding it together.  I know the location it attaches to the main spar, but, not sure how I will support it while fitting it to the spar.
I made a couple of 90 degree brackets to help support the forward floor support structure.  The prints showed 3 rivets.  My brackets are just a tad longer with 2 rivets on each side (4).
Internal shot of station 59.75 bulkhead.  I don't think the squeezer will fit in here.  Looks like it will be difficult to rivet.

Not sure of the riveting sequence yet.  There will be a floor on top and a belly skin on the bottom covering this area.
Speaking of riveting difficulties, riveting out in the tips of the rudder pedal support brackets will be hard to do out near the ends.  Looks tight.

A few more holes to drill then comes the fun part..........in no particular order..........deburing, dimpling, counter sinking, corrosion protection, etc. etc........(not necessarily in that order.)

Later,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment