Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bulkhead Alignment.

Spent today "adjusting" the bulkheads for the top skin installation.  Instructions talked about stretching a fine wire across the top of the bulkheads from station 114.75 to the vertical stabilizer along the CL.  While at the Mustang Open House someone mentioned needing piano wire for this.  Well, I found some very fine varnished coated wire the kids and I used to make crystal radios in the 90s.  It worked great!  So, very fine wire, when you get to this point, will work.
It was hard to get a clear picture of the fine wire.  Each time I adjusted a bulkhead I forgot the wire was there and hit it.  It was easy to tighten and readjust.


I found the factory made slots in the bulkheads for the skin stiffeners was to tight and adjusted each one.  When I completed, I inventoried how much of the stiffener material I had left.  I have enough for all of the plan's recommended installation.  Some kit builders recommend more for the tail cone skins.





The skin stiffeners, 240.371-?, look like a J.  Drilling rivet holes can be a challenge due to the shape.  Holes are located on 2" centers.  I marked the remainder of the stiffening material and drilled the holes for AN426AD-3 rivets.

Looking forward to getting the top skins down and slapping them on the tail cone.  I still have a lot of questions as to the installation of the bulkheads.  Getting there slowly but surely!

BWW

No comments:

Post a Comment