Thursday, August 2, 2012

Station 114.75 In Place

OK, I'm plugging right along.  I aligned station 114.75 bulkhead with the CL and the HRL today and clamped in place.

After clamping I drilled 1/8th inch holes for rivets.       Some of the bulkheads come from Mustang Aeronautics with pilot holes drilled in them.

So, I started drilling from the inside out.  I used a #40 drill going from the inside out making my own pilot holes in the skin.  Clecoed the assembly up with the silver Clecos.

Next, I drilled from the outside in using an 1/8th inch drill, or a #30.  On the way in, I made sure the drill was perpendicular to the skin to get a nice straight hole through the structure.  Looks pretty good.

I have decided for now to go with the bench seat. If I don't like it, I will change it out to something else later.

The bench seat requires a right and left seat attachment bracket, 280.302.  You have to find some scrap .040 aluminum to make these yourself.  Sounded like an opportunity to use the new 30" brake.

I cut two pieces of aluminum 4" by 7" nice and square.  Marked it up for bending and bent away in the brake.  The first two bends went great.  The third bend I could not do in the brake due to its location.  BLARG!!!  I bent it in the vice.

They came came out pretty good.  When I went to mount them in the aircraft something didn't look right.  I couldn't quite put my finger on it right away.  I had placed the right on the left and the left on the right!  I was fortunate though.  I had made them so well I was able to move them and Cleco them into their correct positions.



Pilot side.....












And the passenger side.

Not bad for a couple of hours.

I am getting close to calling the EAA Technical Councilor for another inspection.

I will try and figure out how to do the tail cone this weekend.  I have all the bulkheads made up.  That should help to speed things along once I get going.

BWW

No comments:

Post a Comment