Friday, April 12, 2013

Electric Bike

OK.  Last weekend did not go as planned.  No rivets driven. No work on plane.  So, I set my mind to another project that has been sitting around the garage for three years.  Completing my electric bike kit.  

Story goes, I bought a 26" electric wheel and battery kit for my bike, but my bike had a 700 C rim and wheel.  The electric wheel sat while I stewed. 

While stewing (until well done I might add!) I started building the dream.  (Mustang II)  I looked high and low for a cheap frame to put the wheel on.  Couldn't find anything worthy of the electric wheel.  So, when all fell apart for my riveting plans last Saturday, I got on the hunt for a bike again.

I looked for used and new.  By-passed quite a few frames.  K-mart, Walmart, Sears, and even the local bike shop did not have what I was looking for and offered no support.  Christine said let's look a Tarjei (Target).  I found a fairly inexpensive frame to "experiment" with.

It is not the best set-up for the electric wheel.  The frame and hardware are kind of wimpy.  Still trying to figure out what to do with all the wiring!  But the ride tonight exceeded my expectations!  The bike doesn't like to go 20 mph, but I liked it.  I have some adjustments to make, but I should be able to ride it to work when it warms some more.  Should be able to ride safely between May and September.  (More light)
36 Volt, Brushless Hub mounted Motor
Three 12 Volt, 12 amp hr, lead acid gel-cells.  For three years old they still work pretty good.  Suspect they will fail sooner than expected.

Here she is ready for tomorrow.  Oh, wait, I will be riveting in the morning.

Later,
Brian



2 comments:

  1. Congrats...You are doing such a wonderful job. Because electric bikes are the fastest growing sector of the bicycle market worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    The electric bike is a lot of fun to ride. Nice and quiet. I ride it to work on nice days when I do not have to be down town.

    Later,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete