Sunday, March 31, 2013

Baggage Floor Assembly

Happy Easter!

I continued on with the assembly of the baggage compartment floor this weekend.  I corrosion protected all of the parts and started thinking of the order of operation for assembly.















I've been finding that once a part is drilled and deburred a light reaming operation really rounds out the rivet holes and makes it easier to push a rivet through.  I generally Cleco the parts together and ream the holes with the proper size ream.  (#30 for 1/8 inch rivets & #40 for 3/32 inch rivets.)







Once reamed, I started riveting by using solid rivets (AN470AD-4-4) to connect the left & right baggage support angles.










The Main Squeeze made short work of the 4-4 rivets.









For the left & right baggage floor supports I wanted to try something different.  When I constructed the flap, it had similar triangle parts and they were pretty hard to rivet in place.

So, I decided to use T-88 Structural adhesive and Cherry Max rivets.  The T-88 sets in about 60 minutes with a full cure in about 24 hours.  It is easy to mix.  1 to 1 parts of resin and hardener.

I mixed a little up and spread it evenly over the floor support angle attachment areas.






I very carefully aligned the rivet holes and Clecoed them in place.  Next, I pulled some Cherry Max rivets.

Even though I had spread the adhesive very thin, the excess adhesive oozed out of the edges of the floor supports.  After setting the rivets I wiped off the excess adhesive with an old rag and denatured alcohol.

I've used many kinds of epoxies.  All of them can be cleaned up, prior to curing, with denatured alcohol.


Even the Clecos can be cleaned of wet epoxy.  Denatured alcohol is very safe to use.  Just keep it away from flames or sparks.

I also use the alcohol to wipe off Sharpie Marker lines and prep for painting.

During the week I will rivet the flap hinge and hinge support to the rear of the center section.  I'll use the Main Squeeze, some AN426AD-3-4 flush rivets and about 70 Cherry Max rivets.

By the weekend I should be able to complete the baggage floor area.

BWW

No comments:

Post a Comment