Monday, September 2, 2013

4 Months Shot

I did not do any airplane work from early April until Oshkosh.  4 months shot.  I have to say I came pretty close to giving up on the project.  Too many issues the last 4 months to deal with.  But, I have survived and am back on track.

Since Oshkosh I have made some headway with skinning the tail cone.  I ran out of Clecos and ordered 200 more.  When those ran out Dan brought over 150 more.  (Airplane ate all those too.)

All I have left to do prior to riveting is the usual deburing, edge cleaning, dimpling, and corrosion protection.  Should take a good chunk of September.  Then another month to rivet up the assembly.


Working on the tail cone.

Passenger side skin.

Wood frame to strengthen bulkheads when I put motorcycle straps around the skins.

Inside the tail cone.  Looks like a nice place to take a nap.

Securing the skins over the bulkheads.

Looking more "plane" like.

Maybe kind of like a porcupine.

Marking for adjustments.

I'm in deep thought.

Most of the Clecos are in place.

Now it is the end of August.
So I put 120 hours into the plane in the month of August.  She is still not on the gear.  Getting closer.

Brian



2 comments:

  1. GoPros (Silver and Black Editions) are on sale now for your maiden flight. If you order through Cabella's (Black Edition) you get free shipping and $30 store credit on your next store purchase. Not sure how much credit on the Silver. Yes, I'm tempted too. Hmmm.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    My maiden flight is months if not years away. As much as I am tempted I think I will wait for now. Technology changes so fast by the time I get a GoPro it will be even better. I was very impressed by all the GoPro action on the jumbo-trons at Oshkosh this year.

    Later,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete