Monday, August 20, 2012

2012 Mustang Aero Open House







On August 18th I was able to make the pilgrimage to my first Mustang Aeronautics Open House in Troy, Michigan.  It was fun and I gained a lot of "tribal" knowledge in the construction of my Mustang II.








Mustang Aero moved into a larger facility recently.

Chris Tieman and crew threw out a spread of stuff to look at and touch for novices as well as experienced builders.




An example of some of the parts Chris had out was a center section "quick" build kit.  Chris also had several starter flap kits ready for expectant builders.







A short ride over to Troy Airport and we found several examples of completed aircrafts.

The aircrafts, all similar, had a varying degree of options installed by their owner/builders.  From avionics to canopy installations.  Being able to view and photograph the many examples helps a builder, like me, to plan how to tackle future items that need to be built.

(Infamous Larry Kinder plane above.)




Not sure whose plane.  I did like the deeper yellow color.









I thought this one was interesting.  Instead of a sliding canopy, it swung up and back for cockpit access.





A shot of Wayne Norris' plane.  One of the many excellent examples of flying Mustang IIs available to view and ask questions of the owner/builder.

All the owners provided very detailed information and encouragement to keep building your project.



Wayne departing late Saturday afternoon.

All in all I had a great visit to the factory and met a lot of nice people.  My main purpose for going was to pick up my completed wet wings.  They are now safely in my garage.

So, with the excitement of Oshkosh and the MII Open House over for 2012, all I have left to do is keep building.  My hope is someday I will fly into Troy Airport for the Open House in a completed Mustang II to share with other builders.

BWW 

No comments:

Post a Comment