Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rear Bulkheads

This last weekend I started sizing up building the epinage section.  Last fall I assembled and riveted  most of the bulkheads.  Stations 205 & 209 I drilled and Clecoed together until now.

The first step is to mount the vertical stabilizer spar for the rudder to bulkhead 209.

BLARG!!!  The three holes I drilled last fall do not line up with the factory assembled spar!  Not the factories fault.  It is mine.  (Old bulkhead at right.)

I missed two of the holes by about 1/6th inch.  I could just drill them out to the next size, but that wouldn't be right.  So, I found some .032 aluminum stock and made a new 209 bulkhead.  

Here is my home made bulkhead.  The bending brake came in handy.  I used the factory assembled spar to "match" drill the holes in my new bulkhead.

Corrosion protected and riveted the bulkhead looks pretty good.  I need to mark the CL and HRL on the bulkhead.




I corrosion protected and riveted up the 205 bulkhead and the adjoining parts.

This made for a full weekend.  I will have to start making the assembly "table" for the epinage section so I can start assembling from bulkhead station114.75 to bulkhead station 209.

Still have to get my wings from the factory.  They are having an open house August 18th & 19th.  I may go that weekend.

More to come......

BWW

No comments:

Post a Comment