Wednesday, August 1, 2012

360 Degree Spinning Laser

I have been relying on measurements from various locations to keep the fuselage assembly running true to the Horizontal Reference Line (HRL). The Center line (CL) has been easy to locate.  Just drop a plumb bob and gravity does the rest.

So, I bought a fairly cheap rotary laser from Harbor Freight.  Out of the box, it comes with a tripod, rotating leveling laser head, and batteries.

The tripod is a little wobbly and needs to be adjusted carefully.

The laser is designed to mount to the tripod in either a vertical or horizontal direction.  Here, I am adjusting the two bubbles for use in a horizontal direction.

The adjusting knobs allow for a fine adjustment.  I was able to get the bubbles right where I wanted them.




There is a target type bubble on the tripod, but I found this one to be way, and I mean way out of adjustment.  It was useless.

When ever using this system, I will have to be very careful.  It is so wobbly.  I may use some CA glue to "stiffen" it up.











Adjusting the horizontal bubbles.












Bubbles level and the laser is turned on.








I put on the red glasses that came with the laser so I can see the line.


BLARG!!!  My worst fears have come true.  The HRL is................






PERFECT!!!!

Right on the money.  The laser showed up on my marked line all the way around the forward fuselage.

Although the tool is a little finicky, it will work great for the rest of the build.  Now I can attack the tail cone and epinage.

One more tool coming from Harbor Freight this week.  A pneumatic flanging press.

Later,
BWW

No comments:

Post a Comment